mdc rubbish

Submitted: Monday, Mar 23, 2015 at 16:38
ThreadID: 117191 Views:11859 Replies:3 FollowUps:16
This Thread has been Archived
Hi all
I just bought a MDC Jackson forward fold camper trailer and its falling to bits in the driveway. It's done 6 kilometers from the shop to home and the hot plate fell out, the rear left leg wont fold up as it hits the gas connection, the battery isolator fell to bits and had to be replaced, Bolts that hold the spare wheel carrier where not even hand tight and one fell off. The jockey wheel sits on an angle, over spray on the trims and water tank filler, the wrong stone guard was fitted not allowing the jockey wheel to operate................am i the only one with a piece of rubbish or has anyone else had the same problems
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Life Member TourBoy, Bundaberg - Monday, Mar 23, 2015 at 16:41

Monday, Mar 23, 2015 at 16:41
Did you check it over before you left the shop??
Cheers,
Dave
2010 Isuzu FTS800 Expedition camper
2015 Fortuner
Had 72 cruisers in my time

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 551465

Follow Up By: Member - liftnlock lux - Monday, Mar 23, 2015 at 17:08

Monday, Mar 23, 2015 at 17:08
They were all busy at the show so we had a quick look over and all seemed ok but it was when we got home and started to go trough it all the defects showed up. ive taken it back and will look at a refund or they can build another one......
FollowupID: 836920

Follow Up By: Geoffr17 - Monday, Mar 23, 2015 at 19:43

Monday, Mar 23, 2015 at 19:43
get ready for the Fight . my MDC forward fold had 7 faults when delivered. took them 4 weeks and a mountain of phone calls and e-mails to get them to fix it.
At 6 months old had another problem under warranty was told not under warranty. When I proved it was it was then changed to I broke it.

That was the final straw for me , I wrote to the owner and told him the Dept. of Fair trading was my next e-mail.

I was then contacted by the owner and asked if the part could be sent to me , and it was , I fitted it.

I told him what did he expect me to do when a warranty claim is rejected and told them they need to look at their public relations and improve it.

Now out of warranty so finished with them.
FollowupID: 836943

Reply By: Mick O - Monday, Mar 23, 2015 at 16:42

Monday, Mar 23, 2015 at 16:42
Sounds like some quality control issues there. What have MDC had to say about the issues and will they rectify them for you?

''We knew from the experience of well-known travelers that the
trip would doubtless be attended with much hardship.''
Richard Maurice - 1903

Lifetime Member

AnswerID: 551466

Follow Up By: pop2jocem - Monday, Mar 23, 2015 at 17:12

Monday, Mar 23, 2015 at 17:12
Sounds like Mick has asked a fair question.

Other than telling us all about it have you contacted the dealer with your problems?

If I had had the litany of complaints you have reported I would have set up camp on the dealer's doorstep until he fixed it or returned my money.
FollowupID: 836921

Follow Up By: Member - liftnlock lux - Monday, Mar 23, 2015 at 17:14

Monday, Mar 23, 2015 at 17:14
They appear to be concerned but time will tell. They all said "This isn't good enough" of which i totally agree. I've requested a full out of box failure refund or another trailer built with a bit of pride. If we get a replacement i'm going to spend time going over it with the spanners and multi meter as i dont want to break down half way to exmouth....may take bearings and spares just in case.....lost trust in it already and its only 2 days old
FollowupID: 836922

Follow Up By: Member - liftnlock lux - Monday, Mar 23, 2015 at 17:23

Monday, Mar 23, 2015 at 17:23
Sure have pop2jocem.
Ive said refund or replace but no repair.....somebdy else can have the troubles
FollowupID: 836923

Follow Up By: Member - Bigred13 - Monday, Mar 23, 2015 at 17:27

Monday, Mar 23, 2015 at 17:27
That does not sound too good ,how long have you had it ??
FollowupID: 836924

Follow Up By: Member - Bigred13 - Monday, Mar 23, 2015 at 18:06

Monday, Mar 23, 2015 at 18:06
We all have problems with our new purchases ,I know we should not have them,but let us know how they handle the problems ,is better than slagging them before they have had a chance to fix things .
FollowupID: 836926

Follow Up By: Member - liftnlock lux - Monday, Mar 23, 2015 at 19:01

Monday, Mar 23, 2015 at 19:01
Yep certainly have to give them a go Bigred13 but I've lost trust in the trailer already at 2 days old. If they forgot to tighten major parts up like the wheel carrier then what else have they forgotten. Losing a wheel at 90kph due to incorrect fitting can flip the vehicle easily so I'm going to pull it all apart and put it back together myself, as a mechanic I'm at least guaranteeing it's safe.
FollowupID: 836936

Follow Up By: TomH - Monday, Mar 23, 2015 at 19:04

Monday, Mar 23, 2015 at 19:04
I would take it back and either let them fix it or get your money back.

If you start on it you may give up on any chance of refund or void your warranty
FollowupID: 836937

Follow Up By: Mick O - Monday, Mar 23, 2015 at 19:45

Monday, Mar 23, 2015 at 19:45
Lux,

you seem to have the right attitude. For what its worth, those I know that have bought these types of overseas manufactured campers have spent a fair bit of time under and around them doing exactly what you propose. Tightening, replacing nuts with good quality nylocs, checking welds, sealing where required and checking for screws and pointy bits around hoses and wiring, If this model has the independent suspension arms, keep an eye on the welds there as well.

It's unfortunate to have to say this but these quality control issues are not limited to these campers. Some of our best know local brands have let quality slip over volume and price.

Good luck with it all and I hope they'll provide you with a response that satisfies you. Please remember to follow up with the response from MDC. I think that's only fair considering you've given them a very public spray at what is probably a very early stage in the proceedings. There's always a risk you could do yourself more harm than good

Cheers

Mick
''We knew from the experience of well-known travelers that the
trip would doubtless be attended with much hardship.''
Richard Maurice - 1903

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 836944

Follow Up By: wholehog - Monday, Mar 23, 2015 at 19:55

Monday, Mar 23, 2015 at 19:55
liftnlock lux, price...price..price. Sorry mate.

FollowupID: 836945

Follow Up By: Member - DingoBlue(WA) - Monday, Mar 23, 2015 at 21:04

Monday, Mar 23, 2015 at 21:04
I purchased a Chinese manufactured and Australian assembled hard floor camper from Bigfoot as it was less than half the price of some of the local ones. Had all the bells and whistles, electric winch, electric brakes, twin s.steel water tanks, electric pumps, LED lights, independent suspension etc. I fully expected to spend a couple of grand to bring it up to the standard I wanted, which I did. After an extremely rough trip from Perth to Cape York and back, there were numerous issues that needed attending to.
I took it back to Bigfoot in Midland and detailed the problems. They asked me to bring it into them in a weeks time and they would attend to the problems for me. Not only did they replace the complete suspension system, they also replaced a water tank which had a fracture, installed new stabilising jacks, replaced a water pump, installed new seals and attended to many other minor issues. The total cost was $50 as a contribution for two new tyres, as the originals had scrubbed due to the suspension damage.
You get what you pay for but I believe the people at Bigfoot went well and truly above and beyond. I will always have minor issues due to build quality, but I expect that because of the price I paid.
Rather a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy!

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

FollowupID: 836952

Follow Up By: Member - liftnlock lux - Monday, Mar 23, 2015 at 22:28

Monday, Mar 23, 2015 at 22:28
cheers dingo. Im going to pull it apart and replace all the bearings with good quality ones and tighten everything that i can lay a spanner onto. i think i should be able to make something out of it but will have to spend a few more $$$ on it
FollowupID: 836966

Follow Up By: Member - Paul B (WA) - Monday, Mar 23, 2015 at 23:38

Monday, Mar 23, 2015 at 23:38
If it were me in liftnlock lux' position, my first step would be to ring Consumer Protection in WA on 1300 30 40 54 to get some clear advice on your rights.

One of the things enshrined in Australian consumer law is that anything you buy should be of merchantable quality, which means that it should do the job for which you purchased it, without needing the normal job of making the product merchantable to be done again by you, the buyer. in other words, it should work and not fall to bits, at least not for the period of the warranty, which is at least 12 months, from memory.

You should not have to get your spanners out and re-tighten every nut and bolt. Nor should you have to worry about whether the stone guard is right, etc, etc.

The other thing we are generally entitled to is a full and unconditional refund where the product is not of merchantable standard. Any business transaction, by definition involves a level of trust. If you are paying over some thousands of dollars you are entitled to trust the seller to provide you with what you are buying, not some hopelessly inadequate imitation of it. Therefore, in breach of this gross breach of trust, I don't know why you wouldn't take the thing back and demand your money back, all of it, and go somewhere else and buy precisely what you want, without all the hassle.

My two penneth worth.
FollowupID: 836968

Follow Up By: Member - liftnlock lux - Monday, Mar 23, 2015 at 23:53

Monday, Mar 23, 2015 at 23:53
Cheers Paul b. I did contact consumer protection and I dont stand a chance of a refund. I have to give them a go to repair it.....
FollowupID: 836969

Follow Up By: Les - PK Ranger - Tuesday, Mar 24, 2015 at 08:43

Tuesday, Mar 24, 2015 at 08:43
liftnlock, also ensure you check all electrical cabling, as I have read reports that many that have bought cheaper imported trailers report wiring going through holes left sharp etc, needs to be checked to ensure no cables will wear through prematurely.
FollowupID: 836978

Reply By: Crusier 91 - Tuesday, Mar 24, 2015 at 08:21

Tuesday, Mar 24, 2015 at 08:21
Unfortunately it's a lesson many people learn when its to late. There is a lot of information on the internet about these dodgy MDC campers, their incompetent build team and after sales service.
It's seem like a ever growing trend here in Aus....................You get what you pay for.............what a load of crap!!!!!!!!!................the manufacturer offers their product for the use it is intended for, sale in good faith! regardless of price!
This trailer "could" of caused a serious accident just taking it home for the shop to the purchaser's home! and we the census is you must give the manufacturer a go to repair/replace "their" faulty workmanship?????????? CRAP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!I say!!!!!!!!!!
What if the rear wheel carrier had let go of the wheel on the road and it smashed through a on coming vehicle's windscreen killing occupants??????????

My rant is over.

AnswerID: 551519

Sponsored Links